Brinjal pickle recipe is a traditional Indian spice that is the classic addition to any curry or food. It is slightly sweet and savory and very easy to make. Enjoy this traditional vegetarian recipe with your daily snacks.
Brinjal pickle is a completely vegetarian food that is used to give the food an extra savory flavor. The best part of this recipe is that its procedure is very easy and everyone can prepare it.
- brinjal 500g, cut into long slices
- vegetable oil 150ml
- garlic 10 cloves, sliced lengthwise
- curry leaves 12, see notes below
- jaggery or soft dark brown sugar 150g
- mild chili powder 1 tsp
- dried Kashmiri chilies 12
- malt vinegar 120ml
- black mustard seeds 1 tsp
- ground turmeric 2 tsp
- cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Put the brinjals in a big bowl and sprinkle with a big pinch of salt. Mix well and leave for 1 hour to drain the moisture.
- Then pinch out as much juice as you can. Put all the paste elements into a blender and whizz to a creamy paste.
- Heat the oil in a lidded pan and set on a medium flame. Fry the garlic for 1 minute. Add the curry leaves and the masala paste, and fry for 5 minutes, mixing.
- After that, add the sugar and mix until it dissolves. Add the drained brinjal paste and the chili powder, and mix well.
- Add all other spices and fry for 4-5 minutes. Set the flame to low and stew with a lid on for 20-25 minutes with occasional mixing until the aubergine has cooked through and oil rises to the surface.
- Cool and decant into a purified jar. Refrigerate for a week before opening.