Dal makhani is a complete organic food for all the food and health-conscious people out there. This dal makhani recipe includes the perfect plant-based ingredients with several spices and herbs that give a deliciously fragrant and loaded with enough protein that you need to keep going. This is one of the easy delicious recipes from Indian lentils that will surely make your day.
- 1 cup lentils
- 1/4 cup dry kidney beans (optional)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken
- 4 bay leaves
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tsp dried fenugreek powder (optional)
Dal Makhani Recipe
- Put lentils and kidney beans in a big container; fill with plenty of water. Soak for at least 2 hours or overnight. Drain.
- Cook lentils, kidney beans, 5 cups water, and salt in a pot over average heat till it gets soft, mixing occasionally, about 1 hour. Remove from heat and keep aside. Keep the lentils, kidney beans, and any extra cooking water in the pot.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Cook cumin seeds in the hot oil till they start to pop, 1 to 2 minutes. Add cardamom pods, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, and cloves; cook until bay leaves change its color to brown, about 1 minute. Lessen heat to medium-low; add ginger paste, garlic paste, turmeric, and cayenne pepper. Mix to spread.
- Mix tomato puree into spice blend; cook over medium heat until slightly evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, coriander, and butter; cook and stir until butter is dissolved.
- Mix lentils, kidney beans, and any leftover cooking water into tomato mixture; set to a boil, lessen heat to low. Mix fenugreek into lentil mixture. Cover the pan and cook until toasted, stirring in-between about 45 minutes. Add cream and cook until heated through 2 to 4 minutes.