Indian red split lentils are equally popular among the kids and elders. All you have to do is to be consistent in the number of lentils and rice and then it is all set to eat or freeze and even impress your mother-in-law lol. This recipe is a traditional food for the people of the subcontinent. So you must give it a try.
- 1 cup basmati rice 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup rinsed red split lentils (masoor dal)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion (optional)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cup broccoli florets (optional)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes (optional)
- 1 cup frozen peas (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or as needed
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 cloves
- Wash rice in many exchanges of water and shift to a bowl. Cover with water and allow to soak at room temperature, 15 minutes to 1 hour. And then drain.
- Mix 3 cups of water with red lentils in a big pot over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, dipping any residue that gathers on the surface. Mix in onion, cumin, coriander, salt, black pepper, cayenne, and turmeric. Lessen the heat to low and cook, partly covered, till lentils are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Add broccoli, tomatoes, peas, and salt into the pot. Keep cooking, stirring constantly, until lentils are soft, about 30 minutes more.
- Combine drained rice with remaining 1 1/2 cup water in another pot; bring to a boil. Decrease the heat to very low and cook, covered with a tight-fitting lid, until rice is soft and liquid is consumed about 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a small pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms, ginger, and garlic; simmer and mix until fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Pour over lentils; mix to distribute. Cook lentils until tastes blend, about 5 minutes. Serve lentils with rice.
Indian Red Split Lentils Nutrition facts
Per Serving: 282 calories; 3.7 g fat; 50.8 g carbohydrates; 13.4 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 433 mg sodium.
Also check out one pan chicken curry rice that you will love to make every week.